In 1834, Starkville was originally called Boardtown because of the local manufacturing of clapboards. In 1835 when Boardtown established a county seat in Oktibbeha County, the city decided to change the name to Starkville to honor General John Stark. Today, Starkville is the most populous city in the Golden Triangle region of Mississippi with a population that exceeds 25,653 and now spans over 25 square miles. The local government is managed by a Mayor and 7 Aldermen that represent 7 separate wards. Starkville is a town known for its arts, entertainment, and history while being the home of over 60 notable people that include athletes, authors, musicians and politicians.
Starkville is a great place for outdoor enthusiasts. Hunting, fishing, hiking, boating and water skiing are all available. Spanning 47,000 acres, the Noxubee National Wildlife is a developed waterfowl refuge with 2 lakes, nature trails and a bird sanctuary. Starkville also maintains 6 public parks with 2 swimming pools, tennis and racquetball courts, baseball, softball and soccer fields and more.
Fishing is permitted in all refuge waters with hunting in selected areas. The John W. Starr Memorial Forest, an 8,200-acre natural woodland park, and the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway, offer 1,000 miles of shoreline and 110,000 acres of land and water.
Golfers will find some of the finest greens in the South here. The 18-hole MSU golf course was recently named one of Golf Digest's "Best Places to Play." Nearby Golf Courses include Elm Lake Golf Course and Old Waverly Golf Club in West Point, Mississippi.