1.How do I obtain a burn permit?

Open Burning & Recreational Fires

The City of Starkville has adopted the 2003 International Fire Code. The Fire Marshal Division follows Section 307 for Open Burning and Recreational Fires, which states:

  • A person shall not kindle or maintain or authorize to be kindled or maintained any open burning unless conducted and approved in accordance with this section.
  • A permit shall be obtained from the fire code official in accordance with Section 105.6 prior to kindling a fire for recognized silvicultural or range or wildfire management practices, prevention or control of disease or pests, or a bonfire. Application for such approval shall only be presented by and permits issued to the owner of the land upon which the fire is to be kindled.

 Permit Process

  1. The person wishing to obtain a permit may call or visit the Fire Marshal office at (662) 323-2962, or go by Fire Station One at 503 E. Lampkin Street.
  2. The permit will be issued for a designated fee.
  3. Commercial burn permits must be first inspected by the Fire Marshal’s Division. If the burn site is approved, the fire chief will place it on the Board of Alderman agenda for final approval. This must take place before a permit can be issued
  4. The appropriate fire personnel will visit the burn site and establish that all requirements are met and will issue the burn permit with guidelines and responsibilities.

Violation Assessment

  • The Fire Marshal Division may revoke any permit or approval issued if any violation of this code is found upon inspection or in case there has been any false statement or misrepresentation as to material fact in application or plans on which the permit or approval was based.
  • It is hereby understood that the person or company receiving a burn permit assumes full responsibility for any loss of and or damage to life and property as a result directly or indirectly from said Burning.
  • Burning without proper permit: $500 Plus all cost incurred by the City of Starkville.
    • Each day will be considered a new violation
  • Burning past fire department deadline: $100 per day (rubbish shows smoke or open flame).
  • After second violation, contractor or individual is prohibited from burning within the City of Starkville for one calendar year from date of second violation.



2.How do I become a Firefighter?


We have 68 full-time paid employees that serve in one of three divisions; suppression, prevention, and training.   

Suppression staff is responsible for responding to emergency incidents, whether it is a fire, a motor vehicle accident, or a multitude of other emergencies.  They work 24 hour shifts and are off for 48 hours between shifts.

Training staff is responsible for ensuring that all personnel get the training that is required to meet or exceed the minimal requirements to perform each job in a safe and productive manner.

Prevention staff is responsible for plan reviews, inspections of new and existing buildings, fire investigations, and public education.  

We also have administrative staff that handles payroll and purchases along with many other tasks.


Education: A high school diploma or a state recognized equivalent

Valid Driver’s License

Successfully pass the Fire Fighter 1001 I-II course at the Mississippi State Fire Academy and become a Certified EMT

Successfully meet the medical and physical standards set forth by NFPA

Once Applications are being accepted for the position of Firefighter at the Starkville Fire Department, they will be listed on this website.


4.We recently had a fire at our house, how do I get a copy of a fire report and how much does it cost?

Reports may be obtained for a charge of $10 at Fire Station #1, located at 503 East Lampkin Street, Monday through Friday during business hours.  

5.How many fire stations do you have in Starkville?

The City of Starkville has Five (5) fire stations and our training center is located at the corner of Hwy 389 and Fire Station Road, which is also Station 3. The Fire Marshal's office is located at Fire Station 1.

6.What is Starkville Insurance Service Organization Fire rating?

Effective July 1, 2020, the City of Starkville and Mississippi State University Fire Rating is a Class 3.  

7.My smoke detector doesn’t work, is my landlord required to maintain it?

Your landlord is required to maintain installed smoke detectors within the structures that they own. The fire code says that the detectors are required to work. If your landlord does not comply, you may file a complaint with the Fire Department by calling 662-323-1212 or 662 323-1845.

9.How do I report a fire code violation?

Code violations may be reported to the Fire Marshal by calling 662-323-1212 or 662-323-1845 

10.How do I book a tour at the fire station for our group?

Tours of the fire stations are booked by filling out this request form or calling our Fire Safety Educator at 662-323-1212 or 662-323-1845 during business hours.

Fire Stations

11.Does the Fire Department give any type of fire extinguisher or fire safety training for the public?

The Fire Department provides fire extinguisher training, for more information call 662-323-1212 or 662-323-1845 during business hours.

12.Can I have a charcoal or gas grill on my apartment balcony?

Charcoal and gas grills are prohibited from use on apartment balconies by the 2012 International Fire Code. This code is enforced by the landlord and the Starkville Fire Department.