Building Permits Required
It shall be unlawful to commence the excavation for or the construction of any building or other structure, including accessory structures, or to store building materials or to erect temporary field offices, or to commence the moving, alteration, or repair of any structure, including accessory structures, until the Building Codes Official of the City has issued for such work a building permit including a statement that the plans, specifications, and intended use of such structure in all respects conform with the provisions of this Code.
Section 17.3 of the Unified Development Code
Apply Online, Pay Fees, and Track the Status of an Application
The City of Starkville is now using MyGov for all Building Department and Planning Department applications. The online interface allows applicants to submit applications, pay fees, and track the status of the application throughout the approval process. The first step in submitting an application, is to create a Collaborator account. Click Here to be directed to the Collaborator Interface. Instructions for setting up an account are as follows:
Duties & Responsibilities
The City of Starkville’s Building Division is responsible for reviewing building plans, issuing building permits, conducting building inspections, and issuing Certificates of Occupancy for construction and privilege licenses. Permits shall be obtained prior to the commencement of all construction activities.
Adopted Technical Codes
Technical Codes Adopted. For the purpose of establishing uniform rules and regulations this body hereby adopts codes for electrical, building, fire prevention, mechanical, plumbing, gas, property maintenance, swimming pool, and spa, all being incorporated herein by reference and referred to as the technical codes in this section. The technical codes are adopted in their entirety except for any deletions, additions, and modifications listed in this section. The following technical codes are adopted and are incorporated into the unified development code:
- 2011 edition of the National Electrical Code, as amended.
- 2012 edition of the International Building Code.
- 2012 edition of the International Residential Code.
- 2012 edition of the International Fire Code.
- 2012 edition of the International Mechanical Code.
- 2012 edition of the International Plumbing Code.
- 2012 edition of the International Fuel Gas Code.
- 2012 edition of the International Property Maintenance Code.
- 2012 edition of the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code.
See Section 17.2 of the Unified Development Code for all deletions, additions, and modifications to the the adopted Technical Codes.
Building Permits Online!
Follow the process below to start your building permits online without the hassle of leaving your home or office.
Creating a Collaborator Account
- Follow this link to begin creating your new account (https://public.mygov.us/starkville_ms)
- Click "Become a Collaborator"
- Type in the required information
- Click the checkbox once you have read and agreed to the Terms of Service
- Click “Create Account”
- Complete the information on your Contact Record
- Click “Save Contact”
- Click the checkbox by "City of Starkville, MS"
- Click “Send Request”
- Check your email for a message validating your email address
- Click the “Validate Email” button in the email
- Check your email for a response to the request
- Click “Collaborator Login” to login
Making an Application
- Login with as a Collaborator with your email address and password
- Click on Permit & Inspections icon
- Click “View all permits”
- Click on the application you would like to submit