Floodplain Administration and the National Flood Insurance Program
Flooding can happen anytime, anywhere. Mississippi ranks eighth in the nation for the number of repetitive flood loss-structures. The state also has more than 5 million acres classified as floodplain, which is the fifth largest in the nation.
Just a few inches of water from a flood can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damages. Over the past 10 years, the average flood insurance claim has amounted to nearly $48,000.
The City of Starkville, by adoption of its floodplain ordinance and maps, participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which provides low-cost flood insurance. The city also participates in the NFIP Community Rating System (CRS), a voluntary incentive program that recognizes and encourages community floodplain management activities that exceed the minimum NFIP requirements.
As a result, flood insurance premium rates are discounted to reflect the reduced flood risk resulting from the community actions meeting the three goals of the CRS:
- Reduce flood losses
- Facilitate accurate insurance rating
- Promote the awareness of flood insurance
Copies of the city’s floodplain maps are available for public inspection and review in the Building Department (second floor) of City Hall.
Applications & Other Information
- City of Starkville’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
- Elevation Certificate
- Floodplain Development Permit
- Building Permit Process for Properties Located Within a Flood Zone
- MEMA website
- Non-Engineered Openings
- Dry Floodproofing Certificate for Non-Residential Structures
- Floodplain Quick Guide
- Flood Insurance Handout
- Golden Triangle Regional Airport Weather Data
- Starkville Academy WeatherSTEM Weather Data
Starkville Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs)
- MDEQ’s flood map
- Starkville Flood Hazard Overlay Map
- FEMA NFHL Viewer
- Flood Insurance Study (FIS)
- FEMA Flood Map Service Center: Effective and Historic Information
- Paper copies are available at City Hall. Contact City Engineer, Cody Burnett to request a viewing of these maps.