- Fire Department
- Burn Permits
Open Burning & Recreational Fires
The City of Starkville has adopted the 2003 International Fire Code. The Fire Marshal Division follows Section 307 for Open Burning and Recreational Fires, which states:
- A person shall not kindle or maintain or authorize to be kindled or maintained any open burning unless conducted and approved in accordance with this section.
- A permit shall be obtained from the fire code official in accordance with Section 105.6 prior to kindling a fire for recognized silvicultural or range or wildfire management practices, prevention or control of disease or pests, or a bonfire. Application for such approval shall only be presented by and permits issued to the owner of the land upon which the fire is to be kindled.
- The person wishing to obtain a permit may call the Fire Marshal office at (662) 323-2962, or go by Fire Station One at 503 E. Lampkin Street.
- The permit will be issued for a designated fee.
- Once receiving the receipt from the city clerk's office the person shall call or visit Fire Station Number One and set an appointment with the Fire Marshal Division for commercial burns or the Fire Suppression Division for residential burns.
- The appropriate fire personnel will visit the burn site and establish that all requirements are met and will issue the burn permit with guidelines and responsibilities.
- The Fire Marshal Division may revoke any permit or approval issued if any violation of this code is found upon inspection or in case there has been any false statement or misrepresentation as to material fact in application or plans on which the permit or approval was based.
- It is hereby understood that the person or company receiving a burn permit assumes full responsibility for any loss of and or damage to life and property as a result directly or indirectly from said Burning.
- Burning without proper permit: $500 Plus all cost incurred by the City of Starkville.
- Each day will be considered a new violation
- Burning past fire department deadline: $100 per day (rubbish shows smoke or open flame).
- After second violation, contractor or individual is prohibited from burning within the City of Starkville for one calendar year from date of second violation.