Click to Home

Go To Search
RSSPrintEmailFacebookTwitter
History
The airport was opened in 1934 as the Starkville Municipal Airport.  During World War II the airport was taken over abruptly by the gover4nment to be used as a glider training base (Starkville AF Auxiliary Field).  Plans for the AAF Basic Training Detachment were for 150 students using the TG-5 gliders.  The gliders were towed by the BT-13 Vultee "Vibrator".  Students lived in the dormitories at Mississippi State College, where they also used its classrooms and dining facilities.